Program ManagerRare Book School
Rare Book School (RBS) is searching for an energetic, ambitious, and forward-thinking full-time Program Manager to assist the Director of Programs & Education in facilitating excellent educational programming. In addition to working with the Director of Programs & Education, the Program Manager will work closely with the other members of the Programs department to maintain and improve upon the successful educational programming at RBS.
The Program Manager will be asked to:
- plan the space, staff, scheduling, and supply logistics for events and course activities during each week-long session in Charlottesville, as well as at remote partner institutions throughout the year;
- assist in planning and facilitating online courses;
- communicate regularly with individuals who are learning about, applying for, participating in, teaching, sponsoring, supporting, or variously related to any RBS course or program;
- oversee course-specific advertising;
- travel to oversee satellite course sessions;
- assist with tracking course applications through the admissions process;
- assist with hiring and managing session staff and arranging for their housing;
- maintain records of program communications;
- ensure compliance of program budget;
- participate in maintaining database records;
- assist in implementing RBS’s diversity, equity, and inclusion plans (see our website for details: https://rarebookschool.org/inclusive-excellence-plan/);
- edit and analyze course evaluation data; and
- carry out other program-related duties as needed.
Our organization offers a fast-paced, creative, and collaborative work environment located at the University of Virginia. Rare Book School, a non-profit organization, separate from but affiliated with the University, provides cutting-edge, specialized instruction vital for understanding and preserving artifacts central to our cultural heritage.
Required qualifications: Qualified applicants must have a bachelor’s degree; the ability to deliver high-quality customer service; excellent attention to detail; strong time-management and organizational skills; steady work ethic; the ability to work well in a team; integrity; strong written and oral communication skills; and a close familiarity with one or more of the constituencies from which our students and faculty principally come (e.g., book history and bibliography, special collections librarianship, book arts, antiquarian bookselling, archives, digital humanities, and higher education). The position requires increased hours (50 hours), including weekends, during course sessions as well as some travel to support RBS classes.
Desired qualifications: An advanced degree in the humanities or social sciences; teaching and instructional design experience; non-profit work experience; proficiencies with PC or Mac operating systems, MS Office Suite, InDesign, Acrobat, and Photoshop; database management experience, especially with Salesforce systems; familiarity with the Chicago Manual of Style; a valid driver’s license; and managerial potential.
This is a full-time, year-round, exempt, salaried position with benefits. Salary commensurate with experience. Benefits will include one free Rare Book School course per year; health insurance (including dental and vision); long-term disability; and 403b retirement plan, including employer’s matching contribution up to 5% (after one year). Assistance for moving expenses (taxable) may be available.
To apply, applicants should submit the following materials to firstname.lastname@example.org by 6 December 2021:
- A cover letter discussing your qualifications and your interest in the position and the School
- A curriculum vitae
- The names, phone numbers, and email addresses of at least three references
In your cover letter, please address (1) your competency and experience with regard to the responsibilities and desired qualifications, (2) why you are interested in working for Rare Book School, and (3) when you would be available to begin, either remotely (until able to coordinate a move) or in Charlottesville, VA.
Please note that although the RBS staff is working remotely during the pandemic, the successful candidate will need to be present for in-office work in Charlottesville once public-health conditions make this a safe option.
All RBS employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19 unless an approved exemption is received. Those with exemptions must consent to weekly testing. During the current pandemic state, all employees are required to wear a face covering when in common areas of the workplace.
Rare Book School is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity, equity, and inclusiveness.